Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My 3 day-er

MLK day weekend for me meant I got 3 days off of radiation and chemo.  I have to say the weekend didn't turn out quite to my expectations.  For starters, Tommy came down with a cold, runny nose and low fever, on Saturday morning.  You could tell he just felt like poop.  I'm not sure why, but my kids always get sick on a Friday so I either have to take them to the ER or wait out the weekend with them.  We waited it out, ear infection, second time in a month!

Dennis and I traded off kids from time to time so we could get Maddie out of the house for a bit.  It was freezing here in DC, so not a whole lot of options.  Yes DC has a lot of museums, but they aren't the kind that a 4 yr old is going to love.  Dennis  took her out to the "crazy pool" at Cub Run community center on Sunday evening.  I guess I should clarify, we call it the crazy pool, but really it is an indoor pool with some slides and a water park for tots.  I would have loved to go myself, but the Tron lines still on my backside, courtesy of the radiation techs, fatigue and Tommy's cold kept me here at the house.

Monday was also a slow day.  Stayed in and my friend Maggie headed out here to the burbs to visit me and bring us some awesome food.  Monday night I went back on the chemo.  I guess my body was enjoying chemical hiatus because it was pissed when I started up my pills again.  I took my pills a bit late and headed to bed around 11.  I had a hard time sleeping and from 12 to 1 AM I felt nauseous, but not enough to pray to the porcelain god.  I finally fell asleep and woke up abruptly with sharp pains in my abdomen.      The pains came in waves, like contractions during labor.  I alternated between lying in the fetal position in my bed and crapping my brains out on the toilet.  This went on for at least an hour before the pain subsided and I could finally get back to sleep.  My oncologist had stocked me with meds so I at least had something to combat the diarrhea.  Today I woke up exhausted but the pain seemed to be gone.  I was told that the radiation may cause inflammation and the pains I was having may be associated with that.  I see my radiation oncologist tomorrow and hopefully find out more about the cause and what I can do to combat the issue should it happen again.  

1 comment:

  1. You know, you expect that kind of pain in labor. It's not fair to get it from getting the shits!! Hope you are feeling better today. I'll give you a call.

    ReplyDelete