Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Beginning

The day to begin my treatment finally came, yesterday.  The visits aren't very long, but I found the first one to be nerve racking.  I checked in and got changed into hospital attire and was asked to wait for the technician to call me back.  I waited a bit longer than I expected, something to do with the software update on the machine.  I was finally called back and was positioned on the table.  They use the tattoos that I was given previously to ensure I am in exactly the right spot.  Once everything is set correctly we begin.  The first day (and once a week I am told) they do films, which takes an extra couple of minutes.  The machine makes a lot of noise and even though I'm facing down and can't see all that much I can tell that there is a lot of movement.  It reminds me of scenes from a sci-fi movie were the machines are working on patients, like when Luke gets his new hand in Star Wars.  Probably didn't help that Dennis was watching the Trilogy (sorry I don't believe the prequels exist so it will always be a trilogy to me) this past weekend.  Probably the worst thing that happened during my first visit, I was told to drink water so that I could have a full bladder.  I couldn't move but I had to go so bad.  Last thing I need to be doing is the pee pee dance while I'm getting radiated.  I was seriously on the verge of peeing my pants...well if I was wearing pants.  Thankfully today's treatment was quite a bit shorter and went a lot smoother.

I've gone thru only two treatments and the side effects have started to kick in.  Nothing major, but I am beat.  It feels like I have the flu, achey, tired and kind of spaced out.  I get to about 3 PM and I hit the wall.  At about 4 today, I checked out and took a 2-3 hr nap.  I haven't done that in quite some time.  When I was a kid, my best friend's mom was going thru chemo and I remember her always being tired.  I have a new appreciation for what she was going thru.  They tell me the side effects will get worse as I continue treatment, but I'm still have hope that this is a fluke and I will be unaffected as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment