Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Moving pieces

Second week of radiation is done!  My mother-in-law, Chris, came down from Pennsylvania to give us a hand for the week.  It was Maddie's last week at her half day preschool, Tommy's first week at day care and my second week of radiation.  Lots of moving pieces to say the least.

Let's start with....Radiation!  Always exciting.  For starters they changed up how they do my daily radiation.  It use to be a 10 minute deal, but they decided that each day I will get what they call a "baby" CT scan.  Basically the crazy star trek like machine (I wish I had a picture to attach to show you all what it looks like) takes a scan of my backside and from there they determine how to target the radiation so we get the biggest bang for the buck.  The thought process is that they can do a better job of target the tumor alone and do less damage to the surrounding tissue/organs.  Time wise it means I am now laying on the table (cheeks to the wind so to speak) for an extra 15 to 20 minutes.  Although I am excited about the more targeted treatment, not so stoked about laying on that table for 30 minutes.  I don't know who designed that thing, but I swear it could be used as a torture device.

I also saw all three of my doctors last week.  Met with my surgeon again and was told that April will most likely be when I will be having surgery, but as to what type of surgery it is will have to be determined after radiation treatment is complete.  I also had some blood work and thankfully my blood count is good.  As of last week my side effects were moderate.  Wednesday was the worst day for me, a bout of bowel issues, but thankfully it passed fairly easily and thankfully I made it to the pot on time....that's always a plus.  Chris was here so I was able to lay down and rest regularly, which was a big help.


In other news, Tommy had his first day at day care on Monday and surprisingly enough he really likes it.  Don't get me wrong he cried when I left, but when I picked him up he was as happy as could be and looked as he really enjoyed his day.  He napped there, he ate like a champ and he loves Roni, his day care provider.  His day care was really weighing heavily on me, but Roni is the sweetest ladies and she works with Tommy on his PT and just dotes over him and the other kids there.  She has 5 kids over her own who are sweet as can be, so you know you are leaving your child in good hands.  What a relief!  

Maddie finished up at her local preschool this week.  Chris was a huge help, getting Maddie to ballet, school, gym etc.  It was awesome to see the two of them playing together and crafting together.  They made valentines day cards for everyone, too cute!  Maddie got to see her new school on Wednesday and instantly loved it.  She talked about going to her new school for the rest of the week.  Dennis woke up for work on Friday, around 5:30 or 6:00 and  found Maddie lying on the floor in the main room waiting to go to her "new" school.  Dennis had to tell her, sorry but thats next week.  We did our best to reel the girl in, I didn't want to have her hurting anyone's feeling at her old school.  

Just a side note on her old school, they are awesome.  Her teachers decided to get together and organize dinners for us for the next month!  One of the mom's brought over a bacon pasta dish tonight that was FABULOUS!  It was the first time that Tommy actually ate pasta and Maddie ate everything on her plate, so thats something...but of course everything tastes better with bacon!  Other parents from the school and Maddie's ballet have offered to watch the kids, get us groceries.  The outpour of help has been almost overwhelming, but also awe inspiring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment